Would you drop out of uni? | Lets talk

Two post in one week?! That's right I am back and totally ready to get some amazing content out there for you lovely lot. I have wanted to write a post like this for a while and just haven't gotten around to doing so, the reason I want to write a post like this it to show people that dropping out of university isn't the end of the world and it is more common than you think. Despite not actually dropping out myself although I have contemplated it more times than I can count on one hand. The reason I didn't is still a mystery to myself as I find it hard to focus on the subject I have chosen and wish in first year I had decided to change instead of the advice I was given which was 'stick with it'.



With the research of My Voucher Codes I decided to find out why people want to drop out in their first year of university and if they actually would do it. My Voucher Codes took a survey of 1200 to find out their thoughts on the matter, and found out just under a third weren't planning on returning to university after Christmas. Which to me is a crazily high number, but there must be a reason as to why these people don't want to return? The Independent suggests being around strangers and studying away from home can just be too much overwhelming experience for some people which totally makes sense. I chose to study in my local town for this exact reason knowing that the changes would be too big for me to handle and I probably would of dropped out if this was the case.

Being at university can be a fun experience for those that make friends easily but what about those who don't? It makes sense for them to leave if university isn't what they thought it be like. In another case it can often be that people can't cope without their parents guidance and end up not knowing how to cook and spending all of their student money in the first week and then having to survive on rice for the next three months, isn't appealing at all.

For those who drop out because they don't like their course or the place where they are studying is something that rings true with myself, but the good news with these people some of them change course and end up completing their degree or end up changing campus and finding it a lot better, it is just about what works for you as a person. Those who drop out completely also end up finding alternative routes to their dream careers, including apprenticeships or just working their way up the career ladder which totally works too. Plus you're not broke for the entire time, bonus!

Although I wouldn't recommend dropping out of university to be a decision which you take lightly one bad month doesn't mean your whole course will suck, but sometimes the only way to be happy is to walk away, and that is something which is totally fine.

Did you consider dropping out in first year?  


*In collaboration with My Voucher Codes 

No comments