Accommodation: Staying at home, moving into halls or living with friends?



A is for Accommodation:
When moving to university most people move into hauls, especially when moving to a new place. As it is difficult to move to a new town or city knowing nobody and also finding somewhere to live. I actually stayed at home whilst going to university in my hometown but being someone who suffers from anxiety I found it easier that way, I do feel like I missed out somewhat moving into halls purely for that 'full' university experience and by that I do mean going out and doing things as a flat, getting exceptionally drink with your friends in one of the kitchens and learning to live alone with a group of people who are also going through the same thing.

I did, however, get to experience the life of living with students when I moved into a student house for the third year, I moved in with some of my boyfriend at the time friends, which for the first few months was amazing, it was like one big party and there was almost always someone around to talk to. It was when the cracks started to appear it became less than appealing, the good turned into the annoying and then turned into a big pile of crap. Treading on eggshells at home is not the one as you constantly feel on edge with the kitchen and the bathroom and any other communal and when anyone had friends over or there were extra people in the house it was so cramped we may as well have been sitting on each others lap. The things we had in common slowly became things we pretended not to like anymore so we didn't have to discuss them and the things we did discuss was that of small awkward talk on the stairs or whilst making a drink, it was never what I thought would happen. If it wasn't for my ex I don't know how I would have made it through the last few months. 

Since living together I only still have one of the people I lived with on social media and that isn't my ex, I would like to say we are still friends but often it doesn't feel that way. As for the rest, we left each other at home when we moved away. 
Putting things into perspective, spending my first two years of university living at home did save me a LOT of money and as much as you fight with your family, it doesn't feel as awkward and upsetting as it is with your friends. But moving out did give me a sense of freedom I didn't have at home, e.g. partying with friends, random conversations and learning how to survive on your own. With University living arrangements I'd say it's always worth spreading your wings and giving it ago!


Love, 
Olivia


No comments